[GRASS-dev] file option in r.series - still open files issue

Anna Petrášová kratochanna at gmail.com
Thu Dec 3 07:42:08 PST 2015

On Thu, Dec 3, 2015 at 10:26 AM, Paulo van Breugel <p.vanbreugel at gmail.com>
wrote:

> From the r.series manual I thought that the *file* option allows one to
> analyze large amount of raster maps without hitting open files limit and
> the size limit of command line arguments. Yet, when using the r.series with
> as input a file with 994 raster layers, I am still getting an error message
> about "too many open files"
>
> GRASS 7.1.svn (Data_latlon):~ > r.series --overwrite file=a.txt
> output=Spec_rich method=count range=1,2
> WARNING: G__open(read): Unable to open
>
> '/media/HD2/Data/GRASSdb/Data_latlon/VECEA_species/cellhd/maxent_v1_Hyparrhenia_rufa_rcp45_2055_ens_mean_wc60s_presabs':
>          Too many open files
>
> The mentioned layer is the 551th layer out of a list of 996 layers.
>
> Did I misunderstood this 'file' option?

Try to use z flag. I think the manual is wrong:

Use the *file* option to analyze large amount of raster maps without
hitting open files limit and the size limit of command line arguments. The
computation is slower than the *input* option method. For every sinlge row
in the output map(s) all input maps are opened and closed.

Anna