[GRASS-dev] file option in r.series - still open files issue

Paulo van Breugel p.vanbreugel at gmail.com
Thu Dec 3 07:26:23 PST 2015

>From the r.series manual I thought that the *file* option allows one to
analyze large amount of raster maps without hitting open files limit and
the size limit of command line arguments. Yet, when using the r.series with
as input a file with 994 raster layers, I am still getting an error message
about "too many open files"

GRASS 7.1.svn (Data_latlon):~ > r.series --overwrite file=a.txt
output=Spec_rich method=count range=1,2
WARNING: G__open(read): Unable to open

'/media/HD2/Data/GRASSdb/Data_latlon/VECEA_species/cellhd/maxent_v1_Hyparrhenia_rufa_rcp45_2055_ens_mean_wc60s_presabs':
         Too many open files

The mentioned layer is the 551th layer out of a list of 996 layers.

Did I misunderstood this 'file' option?

Paulo

p.s., Running GRASS GIS trunk on Linux