[GRASS-dev] winGRASS OSGeo4W crashes when switching to 3D view

Helmut Kudrnovsky hellik at web.de
Mon Dec 28 01:25:02 PST 2015

Markus Neteler wrote
> Hi,
>
> while teaching our IRSAE course
> (http://gis.cri.fmach.it/grass-gis-and-r-course/) we did not have
> success to perform a NVIZ exercise on Windows.
>
> Switching to 3D mode leads to a GUI crash when loading the "elevation"
> DEM. We used "elevation" in the new (yet to be improved) Piemont
> location [1].
> No error message shown, just crash.
>
> If anyone wants to test:
>
> wget http://geodati.fmach.it/gfoss_geodata/grassdata_course_version1.7z
>
> # unpack (7a is contained eg in p7zip-plugins package):
> 7z x grassdata_course_version1.7z
>
> --> grassdata_piemonte/user1
>
> Note: It is a new issue since 7.0.1, in 7.0.0 which is installed on
> the same machine no such issue.
>
> I suspect that it is the elevation map size causing the issue since
> the DEM is larger than that of the NC dataset.
>
> Markus

I confirm this. in large regions, 3D view crashes.

tested here with

System Info
GRASS Version: 7.0.2

and

System Info
GRASS Version: 7.1.svn

and the piemonte data set (but also with other large rasters):

g.region -p -a raster=elevation at PERMANENT align=elevation at PERMANENT
projection: 1 (UTM)
zone:       32
datum:      wgs84
ellipsoid:  wgs84
north:      5146000
south:      4879500
west:       313000
east:       517000
nsres:      25
ewres:      25
rows:       10660
cols:       8160
cells:      86985600

attached a debug=3 output ( wxnviz_debug.txt
<http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/file/n5243063/wxnviz_debug.txt>  )

-----
best regards
Helmut