[GRASS-dev] [GRASS GIS] #2660: r.external / r.external.out: support paths relative to the mapset, and variables

GRASS GIS trac at osgeo.org
Tue Dec 29 09:58:02 PST 2015

#2660: r.external / r.external.out: support paths relative to the mapset, and
variables
--------------------------+---------------------------------
  Reporter:  sbl          |      Owner:  grass-dev@…
      Type:  defect       |     Status:  new
 Component:  Raster       |    Version:  svn-releasebranch70
Resolution:               |   Keywords:  r.external.out
       CPU:  Unspecified  |   Platform:  Unspecified
--------------------------+---------------------------------

Comment (by sbl):

 Thanks for looking into this!

 Let`s say my GRASS DB is /grassdata/LOCATION/MAPSET and my external data
 is on /raw_data/...
 The Windows equivalent is R:\grassdata\LOCATION\MAPSET and R:\raw_data\...
 (let`s assume storage areas are mounted equally on Windows and Linux
 (meaning in particular Windows`s drive letters do not change).

 If one was able to store the links relative to the current mapset, like
 this
 ../../../raw_data/my_time_series/lots_of_maps.tif
 Then the path would be identical for both Windows and Linux, if the code
 or link storage could handle the directory separators OS dependent. In the
 given example the data would be outside the GRASS DB.

 If current behavior should not be changed, maybe a new flag "store link
 relative to current mapset" could be added?

 P.S.: Sorry for not being precise in my first post. I was actually
 thinking of the GRASS variables GISDBASE, LOCATION, MAPSET.

--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/2660#comment:7>
GRASS GIS <https://grass.osgeo.org>