[GRASS-dev] Making start of GRASS GIS easier for newcomers

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Tue Feb 3 00:09:47 PST 2015

On 03/02/15 04:26, Yann Chemin wrote:
> It may sound out of place, but would it be possible to call this dialog
> anytime during a grass session to manage where you want to work through
> a known, unified interface?

Markus suggested something like this during our discussions at FOSDEM.
Here's a summary of what I could see as the possible flow of startup:

**********
1) Run GRASS launch script => GUI opens directly

2) Have entries in the 'File'-Menu to

	- 'Open existing location'
	- 'Create new location'
	- 'Creat new mapset'
	- 'Manage locations and mapsets' (could also replace the two last entries)

3) When the user tries to add a layer to the display or to run any
module, a warning pops up saying something like this:

"You have to create a new location or open an existing before being able
to display any data" with buttons:

	- Open existing location
	- Create new location
	- Cancel

The 'Create new location' would bring you to the equivalent of the
current location creation wizard.
************

The advantages of this would be to:

	- allow new users to see an open GUI before having to think about
locations, etc
	- integrate location management into the GUI in a more visible way than
via g.proj -c/g.mapset/etc

The idea is not to make this the only way to start GRASS, it would just
be an alternative to the existing startup.

But in any case, this should not be for GRASS 7.0 which we should
release very soon. New startup is not an API change so we can still
introduce that in a point release.

Moritz