[GRASS-dev] New splash screen for GRASS GIS 7?

Vincent Bain bain at toraval.fr
Thu Feb 5 03:20:47 PST 2015

Hello Madi,
[moved the reply back to the correct thread, I posted the previous
message on the wrong topic]

> Perhaps in D1 the grass symbol and the writing perhaps should be
> slightly moved to right, because the symbol appears cut.

You are right, these vignettes are quick&dirty layouts, just there to
help people choose between different styles.

> Is there particular reason why "grass" is in bold and "gis" not? I
> would like it better to have the same rule for both words, because a
> different style is already applied to the slogan, I would reduce the
> diversity.

Once again a matter of typographic trick; here we don't actually
multiply fontfaces, we only play with various strokes weights from a
same family. It is a way to slightly emphasise the name of the software.

I guess many of you (so do I) really care about the "serious" image of
this project: maybe I (or you) should propose a radically sober but
still elegant splash screen, without any flourish, e.g. the A row with
single fontface, single weight, green and black logo+text.

Thanks for participating,
Vincent