[GRASS-dev] [GRASS GIS] #2584: Vectors skipping columns (character limit !!!) while exporting to OGR data

Newcomb, Doug doug_newcomb at fws.gov
Tue Feb 10 09:58:55 PST 2015

Sajid,
The shape file format has a 10 character limit on field name length.  The
smallest field name I see above is 11. see,
http://webhelp.esri.com/arcgisdesktop/9.3/index.cfm?TopicName=Geoprocessing%20considerations%20for%20shapefile%20output

Doug

On Tue, Feb 10, 2015 at 12:13 PM, GRASS GIS <trac at osgeo.org> wrote:

> #2584: Vectors skipping columns (character limit !!!) while exporting to
> OGR data
>
> ----------------------------+-----------------------------------------------
>  Reporter:  spareeth        |       Owner:  grass-dev@…
>      Type:  defect          |      Status:  new
>       Cpu:  Unspecified     |
>
> ----------------------------+-----------------------------------------------
>  Hi
>  I am trying to export a vector data with many columns to shape format. But
>  it seems it is avoiding all the columns with greater than 10 characters
>  (from the pattern, not sure). Tried in GRASS 6.4.5, GRASS 7.0 svn and
>  GRASS 7.1 svn, giving the same error.
>
>  Please find attached the packed vector layer which i tried.
>
>  {{{
>  v.out.ogr input=test output=test_output.shp
>  }}}
>  gives me following error, but finishes the job with remaining columns.
>

>  {{{
>  ERROR 6: Failed to add field named 'int_minimum'
>  ERROR 6: Failed to add field named 'int_maximum'
>  ERROR 6: Failed to add field named 'int_average'
>  ERROR 6: Failed to add field named 'int_variance'
>  ERROR 6: Failed to add field named 'int_coeff_var'
>  ERROR 6: Failed to add field named 'int_first_quartile'
>  ERROR 6: Failed to add field named 'int_third_quartile'
>  ERROR 6: Failed to add field named 'int_percentile_90'
>  }}}
>
>  Regards
>
>  Sajid
>
> --
> Ticket URL: <http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/2584>
> GRASS GIS <http://grass.osgeo.org>

Doug Newcomb
USFWS
Raleigh, NC
919-856-4520 ext. 14 doug_newcomb at fws.gov
The opinions I express are my own and are not representative of the
official policy of the U.S.Fish and Wildlife Service or Dept. of the
Interior.   Life is too short for undocumented, proprietary data formats.