[GRASS-dev] Which GRASS version to install in a university Lab?

Nikos Alexandris nik at nikosalexandris.net
Sat Feb 14 01:08:44 PST 2015

Nikos Alexandris:

>> Dear devs, and power-users,
>> which GRASS GIS version would you recommend for a University Lab
>> with 40
>> computers?  Stay with 6.4  or  jump into 7.0 RC2?  I recommended to
>> wait
>> some time as important changes may be backported from trunk to 7.0,
>> just
>> before the final release.

Markus Neteler:

> Nikos: which important backports do you expect to be done? I don't
> see much at
>
> http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/Grass7Planning#a7.0.0finalplanned:15Feb2015
> Theoretically we are releasing tomorrow.

On important reason: I couldn't follow-up all discussions concerning
the re-design of GRASS' welcome screen (not only the Awesome splash --
million thanks for this one Vincent).  Since it's about a university lab
for students to be introduced in GRASS, I was thinking that it is best
to just wait some time.

The "intro" is the most significant thing, imho, in GRASS, for users
with zero GRASSy background.

Thanks, Nikos