[GRASS-dev] Which GRASS version to install in a university Lab?

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Sat Feb 14 01:30:54 PST 2015

On Sat, Feb 14, 2015 at 10:08 AM, Nikos Alexandris
<nik at nikosalexandris.net> wrote:
> On important reason: I couldn't follow-up all discussions concerning the
> re-design of GRASS' welcome screen (not only the Awesome splash -- million
> thanks for this one Vincent).  Since it's about a university lab for
> students to be introduced in GRASS, I was thinking that it is best to just
> wait some time.
>
> The "intro" is the most significant thing, imho, in GRASS, for users with
> zero GRASSy background.

Fully agreed. But given the discussion we'll not change much any more
for the final release of 7.0.0.
We can give it an extra touch in 7.0.1 for example.

So, I would definitely not recommend GRASS GIS 6 to them, for these
many reasons:
http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/Grass7/NewFeatures

Best
Markus