[GRASS-dev] grass70 package name

Sebastiaan Couwenberg sebastic at xs4all.nl
Sat Feb 21 10:54:08 PST 2015

On 02/21/2015 06:00 PM, Francesco P. Lovergine wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 21, 2015 at 05:47:19PM +0100, Sebastiaan Couwenberg wrote:
>>
>> What changes do you propose for the official Debian package to allow the
>> co-existence with the GRASS upstream packages?
>> [...]
>> The /usr/bin/grass to grass70 & grass71 executable in grass-core would
>> conflict between these packages. But IIRC the upstream GRASS packages
>> don't contain that symlink. The same may apply to the x-grass script,
>> but thank may get fixed when I address the issue raised by Martin [1].
>>
>> [1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-gis/2015/02/msg00047.html
>>

> Adopting alternatives mechanism for grass, x-grass.sh and manpages would
> probably suffices. I'm not sure if that would really solve a true user's need,
> or it is only superfluous trick.

If we all drop /usr/bin/grass & /usr/bin/x-grass the packages should be
able to co-exist. I've dropped these from the official Debian package.

See the changes in git and my post to debian-gis@:

http://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/pkg-grass/grass.git/commit/?h=experimental&id=6940e3f9036083500f813bebfa55541f8af45f34

http://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/pkg-grass/grass.git/commit/?h=experimental&id=70149a276f34613b8c79548cbf81c9bb4c4d73e5

https://lists.debian.org/debian-gis/2015/02/msg00052.html

The changes so far are for the practical case of having the official
Debian packages installed alongside the development packages from GRASS
upstream (official 7.0, upstream 7.1).

Having both the official grass (7.0.0) package and the upstream grass70
installed doesn't make much sense, but will break with the current
packaging on both sides.

We should use Conflicts or Breaks/Replaces for conflicting source
packages for the same upstream releases.

https://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-relationships.html#s-conflicts

Since one should not have both the official grass package and grass70
installed at the same time, use Conflicts seems most appropriate.

Kind Regards,

Bas

--
 GPG Key ID: 4096R/6750F10AE88D4AF1