[GRASS-dev] SESSION_MANAGER environment variable not defined

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Tue Jan 13 02:50:52 PST 2015

On 13/01/15 11:02, Andy Wickert wrote:
> Markus, you're a genius! I just tried starting the version of GRASS
> available on the apt repositories and got this message:
>
> awickert at dakib:~$ grass
> Cleaning up temporary files ...
> Starting GRASS ...
> ERROR: wxGUI does not support wxPython 3.0.0.0 yet.
> Error in GUI startup. If necessary, please
> Switching to text mode now.
> Hit RETURN to continue...
>
> So I think that what you are saying is that wxPython 3 somehow becomes
> the default / interferes with GRASS. I did:
>
> awickert at dakib:~$ sudo apt-get remove python-wxgtk3.0
>
> and now everything works. Well, hopefully my removal of wxPython 3
> doesn't break something else, so hm, is there a way to ensure that GRASS
> GIS always looks for wxPython 2?

The idea is rather to try to solve any errors concerning wxPython 3 as
it is more and more becoming the default in Linux distributions. Anna
has been quite active in trying to solve any specific wxPython3 issues.

On my Debian Testing system I have Python 2.7.8 and wxPython: 3.0.1.1
and I do not see your error. So it would be interesting to explore what
happens on your system. What graphical environment are you running in ?
What does 'echo $SESSION_MANAGER' in a terminal give you ?

Moritz