[GRASS-dev] module header definitions add: text/multiline and latex support?

Nikos Alexandris nik at nikosalexandris.net
Wed Jan 14 10:07:33 PST 2015

Moritz:

>> I personally am not in favour of such additional text in the module.
>> I think
>> it would clutter the interface. There is a reason there are man
>> pages and we
>> should not encourage users to skip them...

Pietro:

> Why? I don't see the reason why we should educate the users...
> I provide a tool to user that know what they are doing, I want only
> make the meaning of the options clearer and self explanatory.

I share this idea: the GUI should offer an overview at a glance, as
simple and compact, yet complete as possible.

>> Also, how would you integrate that into the command line --help
>> output ? It
>> probably wouldn't be as readable and and I'm even more strongly
>> opposed to
>> introducing differences in information delivered between the command
>> line
>> and the GUI.
>
> I would not integrate that information in the --help output, but only
> on the manual page (to avoid repetitions).
>
> Command line and GUI are different things with different scope I see
> no point to have them as a clone.

> They have different user audience and should be differentiate (imho).
> For me the module GUI as it is is useless and this is why I just use
> the command line I don't see any advantage on GUI as it is. I think
> that make the GUI more clearer could add some value and user don't
> have to rely on the manual for every single option. The basic info
> are
> provided in the GUI and you can find these and further
> details/material in the manual, e.g. examples, images, etc.

While I don't think that GRASS' GUIs, as of now, are useless, I
understand Pietro's view and think similarly.  These questions always
appear when you try to introduce GRASS in someone without prior
experience.  Just try to do it, and let him/her tell you what they
think.

Nikos