[GRASS-dev] svn merge usage

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Wed Jan 14 23:36:56 PST 2015

Vaclav Petras wrote:

> > svn propdel svn:mergeinfo .
> >
> > This deletes all mergeinfos, so you got a large diff when you executed.
>
> You are saying that this is ok, i.e. we want to get rid of the infos?

Deleting the svn:mergeinfo property is probably safe, as we're
unlikely to ever merge entire branches.

svn:mergeinfo is used to prevent a commit from being merged twice.
It's more useful in the case where branches eventually end up getting
merged back into the trunk (or their "parent" branch) in their
entirety.

If you merge a specific commit from a branch (cherry-pick), the
revision number is added to the target's svn:mergeinfo property. If
you subsequently merge the entire branch, any commits specified by the
svn:mergeinfo property will be skipped.

If you delete the svn:mergeinfo property, any subsequent merge will
attempt to apply the changes a second time, which will fail
(hopefully; if it succeeds, the result is unlikely to something you
would want).

This isn't like to be an issue if you only ever merge individual
commits (I'm assuming that you aren't going to explicitly ask for a
specific commit to be merged a second time).