[GRASS-dev] New splash screen for GRASS GIS 7?

Vincent Bain bain at toraval.fr
Tue Jan 20 23:47:42 PST 2015

Hi,
quite long silent on this ML, I give my two cents to this very prolific
topic ;-)

Objectively : at such a high stage of maturity GRASS project clearly
lacks a robust graphical identity; a "corporate charter" is perhaps a
bit pedantic but it would be nice to lay down some guidelines for GRASS
GIS logo/motto representation, in addition to "citing GRASS GIS
software" section (e.g. here :
http://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/GRASS_Citation_Repository).
Designing a brand new splash for G7 may be an opportunity to set these
things (logo, main font, slogan, etc.); the recent website design
certainly goes this way, and should be a good starting point.

Subjectively : compositing and typography nowadays are sorely tortured
by digital technology facilities, and results rarely withstand the test
of time: one should always be very cautious with
3d/shady/glossy/translucency/and-so-on effects...
The welcome frame and splash screen should stick to a well-tempered
style. To me a good design works if it still works in b&w (it is the
case for the nice historical grass logo) and possibly without image.
If inspired, I'll try to send a proposal.

Vincent.