[GRASS-dev] New splash screen for GRASS GIS 7?

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 09:03:58 PST 2015

On Wed, Jan 21, 2015 at 9:28 AM, Markus Neteler <neteler at osgeo.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 21, 2015 at 11:37 AM, Vincent Bain <bain at toraval.fr> wrote:
> > Just for fun, I made a couple of tests there:
> > http://www.lesfavrets.fr/telec/grass_splash.tar.gz

Please, have a look at my suggestion in the attachment for welcome/startup
screen/window. It contains a graphics but it has small height. Title and
whole upper part is changed. Note that it is actually done in code, so it
is pretty precise, except for the graphics which was done just quickly. The
gray in the background of the image is the one of the window done using
transparency so it should always match with the window. Unfortunately, this
will fail miserably when somebody has dark window background color or green
one (text or logo will be invisible).

I would also like to change some terms used in the startup window. Namely,
avoid using ambiguous word "project". If it is not clear, use "GRASS
location", otherwise just "location". Same for mapset. We should also let
the translators know that location and mapset should not be translated, or
translated very carefully. Perhaps also, "Start GRASS" should be replaced
by "Start GRASS session" which is something we avoid in documentation but
it is quite crucial to understand how it works.

I like the splash with grass in the background. Hopefully, there is enough
CC BY images out there.