[GRASS-dev] New splash screen for GRASS GIS 7?

Newcomb, Doug doug_newcomb at fws.gov
Wed Jan 21 09:21:20 PST 2015

Would location directory be clearer than just location?

Doug

On Wed, Jan 21, 2015 at 12:03 PM, Vaclav Petras <wenzeslaus at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 21, 2015 at 9:28 AM, Markus Neteler <neteler at osgeo.org> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Jan 21, 2015 at 11:37 AM, Vincent Bain <bain at toraval.fr> wrote:
>> > Just for fun, I made a couple of tests there:
>> > http://www.lesfavrets.fr/telec/grass_splash.tar.gz
>

> Please, have a look at my suggestion in the attachment for welcome/startup
> screen/window. It contains a graphics but it has small height. Title and
> whole upper part is changed. Note that it is actually done in code, so it
> is pretty precise, except for the graphics which was done just quickly. The
> gray in the background of the image is the one of the window done using
> transparency so it should always match with the window. Unfortunately, this
> will fail miserably when somebody has dark window background color or green
> one (text or logo will be invisible).
>
> I would also like to change some terms used in the startup window. Namely,
> avoid using ambiguous word "project". If it is not clear, use "GRASS
> location", otherwise just "location". Same for mapset. We should also let
> the translators know that location and mapset should not be translated, or
> translated very carefully. Perhaps also, "Start GRASS" should be replaced
> by "Start GRASS session" which is something we avoid in documentation but
> it is quite crucial to understand how it works.
>
> I like the splash with grass in the background. Hopefully, there is enough
> CC BY images out there.

Doug Newcomb
USFWS
Raleigh, NC
919-856-4520 ext. 14 doug_newcomb at fws.gov
The opinions I express are my own and are not representative of the
official policy of the U.S.Fish and Wildlife Service or Dept. of the
Interior.   Life is too short for undocumented, proprietary data formats.