[GRASS-dev] New splash screen for GRASS GIS 7?

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Wed Jan 21 09:24:32 PST 2015

On Wed, Jan 21, 2015 at 6:03 PM, Vaclav Petras <wenzeslaus at gmail.com> wrote:
> Please, have a look at my suggestion in the attachment for welcome/startup
> screen/window. It contains a graphics but it has small height. Title and
> whole upper part is changed.

Nice - perhaps the "Welcome to GRASS GIS." should be simply removed to
shorten that line.
(the word "Welcome" can go into the splash screen)

> Note that it is actually done in code, so it is
> pretty precise, except for the graphics which was done just quickly. The
> gray in the background of the image is the one of the window done using
> transparency so it should always match with the window. Unfortunately, this
> will fail miserably when somebody has dark window background color or green
> one (text or logo will be invisible).

If technically possible as a test if the window background is dark and
if yes, replace transparency with some white?

> I would also like to change some terms used in the startup window. Namely,
> avoid using ambiguous word "project". If it is not clear, use "GRASS
> location", otherwise just "location". Same for mapset. We should also let
> the translators know that location and mapset should not be translated, or
> translated very carefully.

The "project" has been introduced in the past to de-confuse user
coming from "other" GIS.
"Location" alone is not quite clear I fear.

> Perhaps also, "Start GRASS" should be replaced by
> "Start GRASS session" which is something we avoid in documentation but it is
> quite crucial to understand how it works.

Good point.

Markus