[GRASS-dev] Making start of GRASS GIS easier for newcomers

Yann Chemin ychemin at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 22:43:19 PST 2015

I do understand, and feel the same way about it. There is a reason for the
set up to ask for these indeed, and it is definitely a better structure in
the long run for using it.

This raises the question of who will sit down and go through this, when any
other GIS just get to work. So yes, modifying the entry form is becoming
the most crucial part for the newcomer to stay (read?) and "open" the
software, or go and "just open" another one (Thinking about students
discovering OSGEO LiveDVD for example).

Can we propose (like it proposes a mapset with your login name) to make a
grassdata directory in the user directory, if this is not existing, and
start building on that? R does that for its Workspace creation.

--
----