[GRASS-dev] Making start of GRASS GIS easier for newcomers

Paulo van Breugel p.vanbreugel at gmail.com
Fri Jan 23 00:22:13 PST 2015

On Fri, Jan 23, 2015 at 5:53 AM, Michael Barton <Michael.Barton at asu.edu>
wrote:

>  Hi Vaclav,
>
>  To be clear, I agree with you that GRASS should not start with a wizard
> and had did not intend anyone to think that.
>
>  The ‘step 1, step 2, step 3’ was simply to put this as text on the
> startup dialog, to help users know which step to do in what order.
>
>  The more radical suggestion that I made today involves fundamental
> change of how GRASS works. Change the file structure to
> GISDBASE/mapsets=working directories and get rid of locations as folders.
> Store projection information in a different way than as locations. Maybe
> store projection info in each mapset, or maybe some other way. Maybe each
> mapset still only contains maps from a single projection to keep maps of
> the same projection together.

That seems like fundamental to me, by allowing to mix maps with different
projections in one mapset we would loose the checks that ensures the
correct handling of data, one of the very strong points of GRASS.

> It may be necessary to do other things to make sure that users don’t try
> to combine maps of different projections.
>
>  This would make it possible to have a simpler startup. But it would take
> more thought and some programming to make it work.

The current database set up is really robust (it is fairly difficult to
mess up the database)  and at the same time flexible (one can easily move
around mapsets or location/mapsets). Perhaps the same can be achieved in
different ways, but please let's not sacrifice this just to make it
possible to make a simpler startup.

The whole issue of locations and mapsets may be confusing for the first
time users, but in my experience this is just an initial hurdle, after
which the whole structure is actually quite helpful in keeping one on top
of the data (especially if you have to deal with different data sources