[GRASS-dev] Making start of GRASS GIS easier for newcomers

Michael Barton Michael.Barton at asu.edu
Thu Jan 22 22:59:09 PST 2015

On Jan 22, 2015, at 11:11 PM, Yann Chemin <ychemin at gmail.com<mailto:ychemin at gmail.com>> wrote:

Hi MIchael,

Are we going to yet another branch from the original topic :-)

Just clarifying what I said earlier on this particular topic. Why making the start of GRASS easier is not easy.

I believe the fundamental change you speak about is worth discussing for GRASS 8.

Maybe. But certainly not for this release

I also believe that the on-the-fly reprojection on import is a feature we all agree is (very) needed (GRASS 8).

Good reasons have been discussed for not doing this, although others would like it. But again, not for this release

Finally, I believe that Vaclav small changes to the welcome page are worth agreeing upon.

Yep. And the ORIGINAL topic of a nicer splash screen.

Michael