[GRASS-dev] Making start of GRASS GIS easier for newcomers

Margherita Di Leo diregola at gmail.com
Fri Jan 23 07:34:52 PST 2015

Hi,

On Fri, Jan 23, 2015 at 2:10 PM, Markus Metz <markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com>
wrote:

> That is why I suggested a minimal (minimal information content)
> welcome screen with one OK button and one change button. The OK button
> should be prominently placed, the user must immediately see that all
> is needed to get started is to press OK. This welcome screen could be
> written such that practically nothing but wx needs to be imported,
> which means that the splash screen can go away. Because of the little
> amount of content (text + buttons), there would be enough space for
> graphics even on small screens.
>
> You could have drop-down boxes for location and mapset to offer a
> choice instead of fixed text.

Do I understand correctly that such drop-down boxes to change current
location and mapset are to be found at the stage when GRASS is already
started? Meaning that you are in a XY empty location and you can choose to
go directly to a different one without restarting GRASS? If this is your
proposal, I  think that this would indeed do a huge difference to anyone
working in grass, not only newcomers, in terms of practicality

--
Best regards,

Dr. Margherita DI LEO
Scientific / technical project officer

European Commission - DG JRC
Via Fermi, 2749
I-21027 Ispra (VA) - Italy - TP 261

Tel. +39 0332 78 3600
margherita.di-leo at jrc.ec.europa.eu

Disclaimer: The views expressed are purely those of the writer and may not
in any circumstance be regarded as stating an official position of the
European Commission.