[GRASS-dev] Getting version number *before* starting

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Thu Jan 29 14:10:27 PST 2015

On Thu, Jan 29, 2015 at 9:51 AM, Rainer M Krug <Rainer at krugs.de> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I would, for implementation in spgrass7 in R, to be able to get the version
> number of GRASS GIS before starting GRASS.

I know about the --version parameter of grass command.

{{{
$ grass64 --version

GRASS GIS 6.4.4

Geographic Resources Analysis Support System (GRASS) is Copyright,
1999-2014 by the GRASS Development Team, and licensed under terms of the
GNU General Public License (GPL) version >=2.

This GRASS 6.4.4 release is coordinated and produced by the...
}}}

Unfortunately for GRASS GIS 7 it is giving more the license and about then
the version:

{{{
$ grass71 --version

Geographic Resources Analysis Support System (GRASS) is Copyright,
1999-2014 by the GRASS Development Team, and licensed under terms of the
GNU General Public License (GPL) version >=2.

This GRASS 7.1.svn release is coordinated and produced by
}}}

Although, I'm running 71 from source code, so it might be different.

To get general idea, here are examples what other projects have in
--version:

{{{
gcc --version
gcc (Ubuntu 4.8.2-19ubuntu1) 4.8.2
}}}

{{{
pandoc --version
pandoc 1.12.2.1
Compiled with texmath 0.6.5.2, highlighting-kate 0.5.5.1.
Syntax highlighting is supported for the following languages:
}}}

I know that in the file