[GRASS-dev] [GRASS-SVN] r65497 - grass/trunk/locale/po

Maris Nartiss maris.gis at gmail.com
Thu Jun 18 10:48:29 PDT 2015

> On 18/06/15 16:55, Vaclav Petras wrote:
>>
>> As I said my experience is limited but I though that when you translate
>> the string manually, you remove fuzzy.
>

> I have not been involved in translation very much, so I don't know. Maybe
> someone can educate us ? ;-)

What kind of tool you were using for translating? If it was an
ordinary text editor, I would strongly suggest to give Lokalize a
shot. It helps to keep PO file in order.
As it goes with fuzzy - it should be removed if string is considered
to be properly translated. For PO file it means - "something changed
in the original source file. Dear translator, please check if the old
translation still fits". When generating MO file, fuzzy string equals
untranslated one.

Moritz, your idea on using "string%s" % postfix is really bad for
translators as then it needs an explanation on contents of %s to
translate it in a proper way. GRASS code contains mechanism to extract
comments for translators (see GTC in readme file), but still I would
call it a bad idea without any clear benefit.

_("ERROR: ") + msg is also not a bright idea as it would not play
nicely with right to left (RTL) languages. I am not an expert in RTL
and thus can not comment too much. At the moment there seems to be no
feedback from RTL users on GRASS issues thus RTL hasn't got any
attention in GRASS.
I think - better would be (RTL experts can correct me):
// GTC %s will contain translated error message
_("ERROR: %s") % msg

WBR,
Maris.