[GRASS-dev] Making sense of packages for Ubuntu

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 08:44:50 PDT 2015

According to what was said it seems to me that we should change:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntugis/ubuntugis-unstable
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:grass/grass-stable
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install grass7

to:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntugis/ubuntugis-unstable
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install grass

at:

http://grass.osgeo.org/download/software/linux/
http://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Compile_and_Install_Ubuntu#Very_Important_notes

I got another user with conflicting packages after going through those
steps, so I think the current instructions are not working (although if you
have a fresh computer and follow the instructions closely, they work).

It is also not clear to me why we discuss packages so deeply at the wiki
page. Should we just link there the install with "if you want to just
install and not compile use..."? The current state leads you to packages in
case you want tocompile. If the other suggested things pbuilder, debuild,
cowbuilder and `apt-get build-dep` are useful, I don't know I've newer used
them (so they are probably not that useful). I would like to just delete
both Very Important notes and Quick instructions sections as they just
distract from the real stuff below.

Vaclav