[GRASS-dev] Making sense of packages for Ubuntu

Angelos Tzotsos gcpp.kalxas at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 09:10:48 PDT 2015

On 06/15/2015 05:03 PM, Sebastiaan Couwenberg wrote:

>>> Why do I need ubuntugis-unstable for grass-stable? Isn't
>>> ubuntugis-stable a
>> no, it doesn't seems to be a better choice, check which versions are
>> provided by ubuntu-stable [1]. It seems to be not maintained so much
>> (GDAL 1.10), AFAIU only unstable is somehow up-to-date. There will be
>> someone here who will know more than me I guess.
> The focus of the UbuntuGIS team is on the unstable repository, if you want
> to improve the UbuntuGIS PPAs you should contribute to the team because
> there is hardly anyone actively contributing to UbuntuGIS these days. The
> same was true for the Debian GIS team, but both have found at least one
> new contributor to keep things moving. But there is far more work to do
> for the few active people to manage, please consider contributing.
>
> Questions about the UbuntuGIS PPA should be directed to their list, I
> don't think any of their contributor are subscribed to this list.
>
> http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/ubuntu/
>
> Kind Regards,
>
> Bas

> .

Hi,

As Bas mentioned, our focus recently is on UbuntuGIS unstable. The
reason behind this: due to work been done in DebianGIS, recent Ubuntu
releases (universe) already include stable versions of most software
that was maintained in UbuntuGIS stable e.g. gdal , grass etc..
So our recent efforts are to maintain new package versions in UbuntuGIS
unstable. At the same time, unstable ppa gets packages that are well
tested from OSGeoLive ppa, so some of the development happens there
these days...

Regarding grass packages:
DebianGIS took the decision to maintain only one version of grass, so
grass7 never went upstream, but grass package points to 7.0.
Before that, both UbuntuGIS and OSGeoLive included both grass (6) and
grass7 packages. Then, we pulled from DebianGIS, so now UbuntuGIS
unstable includes grass package that points to 7.0.
Bottom line: grass (6) is in Ubuntu universe, grass(7) is in UbuntuGIS
unstable and OSGeoLive ppas. UbuntuGIS stable is not maintained.

Best,
Angelos

--
Angelos Tzotsos