[GRASS-dev] GSOC project proposal: GUI plugin system for GRASS GIS

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 20:40:28 PDT 2015

Hello.

On Tue, Mar 10, 2015 at 3:46 PM, jyoti misra <jyotimisra.99 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Dear Sir/Madam,
>
> Myself Jyoti currently working under Dr. KS Rajan as a research student
in Spatial Informatics Lab, IIIT hyderabad . I am currently working in Land
Use modelling of Barrack valley region. Previously i have worked on
Billboard placement optimization problem considering the spatial ,temporal
and traffic features.

> I am interested in working with grass org under the project "GUI plugin
system for GRASS GIS". The project is interesting and I have some idea of
the technologies requires for the project as i have already worked in
Python , c/c++.

Good. Now you should find some enhancements or bugs in GRASS GIS bug
tracker [1] and implement or fix them before the application evaluation to
show level of you proficiency [2, 3].

You can also select from this list:

Enhancement: Let users save/load SQL statements in wxGUI attribute table
manager
http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/1205

Bug: Quotes not preserved in command after pressing enter in GUI command
console
http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/1435
http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/1437

Enhancement: Store map elements such as legend, text and scale bar in
workspace file.
http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/2484

Enhancement: Possibility to automatically load last used workspace when
GRASS GIS GUI starts
http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/2604

Enhancement: Store recently used workspaces and offer them in the menu
http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/2604

Enhancement: Implement georeferenced image output for "Save display..."
function in GUI and d.out.file module (and its wxGUI implementation)
http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/977

Bug: Undefined settings variable issue in bivariate scatterplot tool
http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/2247

Enhancement: Button, documentation and perhaps something more interactive
for finding EPSG codes online rather then in GRASS GIS list
http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/26

However, you can explore the open issues on GRASS GIS bug tracker yourself.
Just keep in mind that this GSoC project would be in Python and wxPython.
You can attempt to solve more of these tasks, the more the better. In any
case, the thing you select and do should be in Python and should
sufficiently represent your skills. Draft implementation of non-GUI (model)
part of the plugin system would be helpful to understand the issues which
you should address in the application.

In any case, start with compiling GRASS GIS from source code (trunk) from
Subversion repository [4], reading tips for students [5] and going through
instructions for other students [6, 7] (you can use Nabble [8] for that).

Also read Submitting rules [9] and how-to [10] for wxGUI development. Also
learn how to do basic tasks in GRASS GIS graphical user interface (called
wxGUI), use e.g. GRASS wiki or the manual as learning resource.

Please, always create a new thread on mailing list for distinct topics.

Best,
Vaclav

[1] https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/query
[2]
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code_Recommendations_for_Students
[3] http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/soc/2015-March/002908.html
[4] http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/DownloadSource
[5] http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/GSoC/2015#Tipsforstudents
[6] http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/grass-dev/2015-March/074420.html
[7] http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/grass-dev/2015-March/074433.html
[8] http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/Grass-Dev-f3991897.html
[9] http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/Submitting/wxGUI
[10] http://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/WxGUI_Programming_Howto

> Please guide me in the project and provide some docs and links where i
can proceed with solving it. Also I want to know whether someone is already
committed to this Project or not?