[GRASS-dev] [GRASS GIS] #2636: v.buffer, allow selection of columns for opts "distance", "minordistance", and "angle"

GRASS GIS trac at osgeo.org
Mon Mar 23 17:05:52 PDT 2015

#2636: v.buffer, allow selection of columns for opts "distance", "minordistance",
and "angle"
-------------------------------+--------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  isaacullah         |       Owner:  grass-dev@…
     Type:  enhancement        |      Status:  new
      Cpu:  x86-64             |
-------------------------------+--------------------------------------------
 Currently, v.buffer only allows a column selection for single radius (opt
 "column"), but allows the creation of "oblong" buffers using the manual
 entry opts "distance", "minordistance", and "angle". v.buffer would be a
 lot more useful if these could all simply be column selectable too. For
 example, if I have a large vector points file of archaeological site
 locations, and I have BOTH a length and width column (and, potentially, a
 "site axis direction" column too), then I could make a "buffer" map of the
 actual site size and orientation. Currently, in v.buffer, I can only use a
 calculated "average" site radius column, and make circular buffers for
 these sites.

--
Ticket URL: <http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/2636>
GRASS GIS <http://grass.osgeo.org>