[GRASS-dev] QGIS GRASS Plugin Upgrade Crowdfunding

Pietro peter.zamb at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 10:45:36 PDT 2015

Hi Radim,

On Tue, Mar 24, 2015 at 5:11 PM, Radim Blazek <radim.blazek at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 24, 2015 at 7:00 AM, Pietro <peter.zamb at gmail.com> wrote:
>> together with Francesco Geri, last week we started to write a first
>> draft that generate the GUI for the GRASS module dynamically (based on
>> the xml generated with: --interface-description), so far it is based
>> on grass7 but should work also on grass6 (not tested, should be enough
>> to backport the pygrass.modules.Module class).
>
> The GUI for GRASS module in the plugin is also generated based on
> --interface-description, qgm files are only used to define a subset of
> module's options or to override option attributes (like label) if
> necessary. So it is already implemented, but always combined with t,
> skipping qgm, it maybe used to generate generic UI for any module.
> Using qgm gives more power, for example table field combo options
> based on current layer selected as input, setting input type from
> input layer, selecting feature categories in map canvas and so on.
>
> You may be interested in
> https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/blob/master/src/plugins/grass/qgsgrassmodule.cpp
>
> Do you see a possibility how we could join the effort?

Yes I know that that there was this tool already available, but we
want to build something that use only the  --interface-description, to
avoid to synchronize the qgm file for each change that we made on the
grass-addon.

I would love to join the effort, the main problem here is that I don't
know cpp, therefore I can not play actively on this side.

However I think that some extra fields in the xml description are
missing and should be add to easily go on the direction of the
dynamically generated GUI.

But I will open a new thread.

Pietro