[GRASS-dev] r.in.lidar: read multiple LAS files in one run

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Mon Oct 26 08:28:44 PDT 2015

Hi all,

r.in.lidar in trunk (r66601) can now read multiple LAS files specified in a
text file (similarly to what e.g. r.colors supports for raster maps). It is
nothing fancy, no indexing or something, but you can bin point from several
tiles without any edge effects. It is not particularly fast either, but it
is not worse than the original code.

Here is an example with custom resolution and extent derived from the data:

r.in.lidar file=list.txt output=raster method=mean -e res=30 zrange=-1,200

The file list.txt contains something like:

/home/johnuser/data/tile_55.las
/home/johnuser/data/tile_56.las
/home/johnuser/data/tile_57.las

A major refactoring of the code (r66593-r66596) was necessary for smooth
implementation. I did my best to test different combination of parameters
with comparison to original results, but I was not able to create an
automated test partially for the lack of standardized input data. More
testing appreciated.

The options and tabs were reorganized to accommodate new inputs, but the
documentation is missing.

Let me know what you think.

Vaclav

https://grass.osgeo.org/grass71/manuals/r.in.lidar.html