[GRASS-dev] r.in.lidar: read multiple LAS files in one run

Newcomb, Doug doug_newcomb at fws.gov
Mon Oct 26 10:20:34 PDT 2015

Vaclav,

I cannot wait to try this with multiple files at the 4.2 point las 1.2
limit! I can live with slow, just concerned about the memory demands
working with larger areas.

Thank you very much!

Doug

On Mon, Oct 26, 2015 at 11:28 AM, Vaclav Petras <wenzeslaus at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> r.in.lidar in trunk (r66601) can now read multiple LAS files specified in
> a text file (similarly to what e.g. r.colors supports for raster maps). It
> is nothing fancy, no indexing or something, but you can bin point from
> several tiles without any edge effects. It is not particularly fast either,
> but it is not worse than the original code.
>
> Here is an example with custom resolution and extent derived from the data:
>
> r.in.lidar file=list.txt output=raster method=mean -e res=30 zrange=-1,200
>
> The file list.txt contains something like:
>
> /home/johnuser/data/tile_55.las
> /home/johnuser/data/tile_56.las
> /home/johnuser/data/tile_57.las
>
> A major refactoring of the code (r66593-r66596) was necessary for smooth
> implementation. I did my best to test different combination of parameters
> with comparison to original results, but I was not able to create an
> automated test partially for the lack of standardized input data. More
> testing appreciated.
>
> The options and tabs were reorganized to accommodate new inputs, but the
> documentation is missing.
>
> Let me know what you think.
>
> Vaclav
>

> https://grass.osgeo.org/grass71/manuals/r.in.lidar.html
> https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/changeset/66601
> https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/changeset/66593
> https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/changeset/66594
> https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/changeset/66595
> https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/changeset/66596

Doug Newcomb
USFWS
Raleigh, NC
919-856-4520 ext. 14 doug_newcomb at fws.gov
The opinions I express are my own and are not representative of the
official policy of the U.S.Fish and Wildlife Service or Dept. of the
Interior.   Life is too short for undocumented, proprietary data formats.
As a federal employee, my email may be subject to FOIA request.