[GRASS-dev] r.in.lidar: read multiple LAS files in one run

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Mon Oct 26 12:00:40 PDT 2015

On Mon, Oct 26, 2015 at 1:20 PM, Newcomb, Doug <doug_newcomb at fws.gov> wrote:

> multiple files at the 4.2 point las 1.2 limit! I can live with slow, just
> concerned about the memory demands working with larger areas.

The processing goes by row chunks. By default everything is in the memory.
You can say that only half of rows will be in the memory at a time by
percent=50 (you have to guess how much memory it will take). It will be
(much) slower because it will iterate over the files (twice in this case).
I was not able to do any tests with large amounts of points but the only
problem will be capacity of some counters for percentage and report. The
actual processing takes one point at a time, so there shouldn't be any
limit. This is by the way still the same as before, I haven't changed
anything in the way how this is handled. Let me know if this doesn't
address your concerns.