[GRASS-dev] compiling GRASS fails at configure, unable to locate GDAL library

Paulo van Breugel p.vanbreugel at gmail.com
Thu Oct 29 04:03:56 PDT 2015

On 29-10-15 11:38, Markus Neteler wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 29, 2015 at 11:29 AM, Paulo van Breugel
>> I do not really understand the log info, but I guess the below is the
>> relevant part?
>>
>> configure:6098:9: warning: ignoring return value of 'GDALOpen', declared
>> with attribute warn_unused_result [-Wunused-result]
>>   GDALOpen("foo", GA_ReadOnly);
>>           ^
>> /usr/bin/ld: warning: libgrass_vector.so, needed by
>> /usr/local/gdal/lib/libgdal.so, not found (try using -rpath or -rpath-link)
>> /usr/local/gdal/lib/libgdal.so, not found (try using -rpath or -rpath-link)
>> /usr/local/gdal/lib/libgdal.so: undefined reference to `Rast_map_type'
>> /usr/local/gdal/lib/libgdal.so: undefined reference to
>> `Rast_get_fp_color_rule'
>> /usr/local/gdal/lib/libgdal.so: undefined reference to
>> `Vect_new_line_struct'
> Did you compile GDAL with GRASS GIS support?
>
> If yes:
> This is not recommended - instead use the GDAL-GRASS plugin to
> disentangle them properly.
Thanks Marcus for the feedback. Yes I did compile GDAL with GRASS
support, mostly because using the GDAL-GRASS plugin has always been
problematic, something I never have managed to solve, while compiling
GDAL with GRASS GIS support always have worked without problem for me.
But it has been a while I tried last, so I will try again, see if it
works this time. Nevertheless, I am not sure I understand why compiling
GRASS now suddenly doesn't work; as I mentioned, the only thing that has
changed since the last time I compiled GRASS (about a week ago) is that
I got a fresh download of the GRASS.