[GRASS-dev] Wildcards in multiple map input?

Blumentrath, Stefan Stefan.Blumentrath at nina.no
Wed Sep 9 04:06:58 PDT 2015

Hi,

For the QGIS-GRASS-plugin update Radim, Pedro, Andrew and me were discussion how to implement multiple selections for map input in the UI in QGIS.

In this context I was thinking that the ability to use wildcards would be really handy for GRASS newcomers. People who are not afraid of the command line can of course easily pipe g.list output to modules with multiple input or re-use the latter from file like e.g. in temporal modules.

My idea would be to allow something like this:
r.series input=temperature_*_05_17 output=norway_national_day_temperature_avg method=average (in order to calculate average temperature for Norways national day for example)
in the GUI and/or command line, where wildcards are evaluated to a list of available maps following that pattern.
The "*" is not allowed in map names, right, so, whenever it appears in a multiple map input it might used to trigger a respective g.list operation...

My question is:
Would it be of interest and feasible to add such a feature to GRASS?
Just an idea to make things easier for beginners and those who only use the GUI...

Cheers
Stefan