[GRASS-dev] Wildcards in multiple map input?

Anna Petrášová kratochanna at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 06:43:31 PDT 2015

On Wed, Sep 9, 2015 at 7:06 AM, Blumentrath, Stefan <
Stefan.Blumentrath at nina.no> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> For the QGIS-GRASS-plugin update Radim, Pedro, Andrew and me were
> discussion how to implement multiple selections for map input in the UI in
> QGIS.
>

> In this context I was thinking that the ability to use wildcards would be
> really handy for GRASS newcomers. People who are not afraid of the command
> line can of course easily pipe g.list output to modules with multiple input
> or re-use the latter from file like e.g. in temporal modules.
>

> My idea would be to allow something like this:
>
> r.series input=temperature_*_05_17
> output=norway_national_day_temperature_avg method=average (in order to
> calculate average temperature for Norways national day for example)
>
> in the GUI and/or command line, where wildcards are evaluated to a list of
> available maps following that pattern.
>
> The “*” is not allowed in map names, right, so, whenever it appears in a
> multiple map input it might used to trigger a respective g.list operation…
>

> My question is:
>
> Would it be of interest and feasible to add such a feature to GRASS?
>
> Just an idea to make things easier for beginners and those who only use
> the GUI...

I thought there was a ticket about this, but I can't find it. The
suggestion I remember (but it never got implemented) is to reuse a dialog
for selecting multiple maps using regular expressions (accessible from
layer manager) and have a small button near the map entry in the
autogenerated dialogs which would open this dialog and transfer the
resulting map series back in the map entry field. So this would be
implemented on the GUI level. Your suggestion would be implemented on
parser level. I guess both have some pluses and minuses.

Anna