[GRASS-dev] Collecting ideas for training manual for GRASS GIS

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Thu Sep 17 19:45:23 PDT 2015

(Was: Re: [GRASS-dev] FOSS4G 2016 code sprint)

Hi Moritz and Luca,

On Wed, Sep 16, 2015 at 8:54 PM, Luca Delucchi <lucadeluge at gmail.com> wrote:

> > I think that at such an occasion it also would be very interesting to
get a
> > series of non-programmers together to work on a training manual for
GRASS,
> > in the same line as the QGIS training manual [1]. I've very often would
have
> > appreciated such a resource to enable people to discover GRASS more
> > autonomously.
> >
> > At this stage we have many different localized resources, but I think
having
> > a centralized training manual which people could then translate to
different
> > languages would be helpful.
> >

> We could also start a discussion about the software to use and create
> a repository and try to start to centralize the material already
> existing

from technical point of view, we are now using HTML pages (which can be
tutorials as well, not only manual pages), wiki and then all other things.
If we want to allow for an internationalization, that's yet another
question.

For the sources I'm involved in, you can have a look at:

http://geospatial.ncsu.edu/osgeorel/courses.html

in particular:

http://courses.ncsu.edu/gis582/common/grass/
http://ncsu-osgeorel.github.io/erosion-modeling-tutorial/grassgis.html
http://ncsu-osgeorel.github.io/grass-temporal-workshop/
http://ncsu-osgeorel.github.io/uav-lidar-analytics-course/assignments/lidar.html
http://ncsu-osgeorel.github.io/uav-lidar-analytics-course/assignments/water_flow.html
http://ncsu-osgeorel.github.io/grass-intro-workshop/
http://www4.ncsu.edu/~akratoc/GRASS_intro/

Ideally, the things should be in the OSGeo Educational Content Inventory
and we should be adding the stable or valuable things there as we are
collecting them.

http://www.osgeo.org/educational_content?filter1=grass

Vaclav