[GRASS-dev] Collecting ideas for training manual for GRASS GIS

Luca Delucchi lucadeluge at gmail.com
Thu Sep 17 21:26:54 PDT 2015

On 18 September 2015 at 04:45, Vaclav Petras <wenzeslaus at gmail.com> wrote:
> (Was: Re: [GRASS-dev] FOSS4G 2016 code sprint)
>
> Hi Moritz and Luca,

Hi Vaclav,

>> We could also start a discussion about the software to use and create
>> a repository and try to start to centralize the material already
>> existing
>
> from technical point of view, we are now using HTML pages (which can be
> tutorials as well, not only manual pages), wiki and then all other things.
> If we want to allow for an internationalization, that's yet another
> question.

internationalization is the main topic, I think, we should provide it or not?
for some reason yes, newbie some times would like to have material in
their native language, for some other reason is really difficult to
maintain it updated because people start to work on it and after
disappear.

Use some simple tool as Transfixer [0] maybe could be useful

> For the sources I'm involved in, you can have a look at:
>
> http://geospatial.ncsu.edu/osgeorel/courses.html
>
> in particular:
>
> http://courses.ncsu.edu/gis582/common/grass/
> http://ncsu-osgeorel.github.io/erosion-modeling-tutorial/grassgis.html
> http://ncsu-osgeorel.github.io/grass-temporal-workshop/
> http://ncsu-osgeorel.github.io/uav-lidar-analytics-course/assignments/lidar.html
> http://ncsu-osgeorel.github.io/uav-lidar-analytics-course/assignments/water_flow.html
> http://ncsu-osgeorel.github.io/grass-intro-workshop/
> http://www4.ncsu.edu/~akratoc/GRASS_intro/

this is really cool material I have some question:
- could be this documentation moved in some official GRASS page
(maintaining of course ncsu affiliation)
- do you have any idea how simple could be translate it?

[0] https://www.transifex.com/

--
ciao
Luca