[GRASS-dev] Collecting ideas for training manual for GRASS GIS

Blumentrath, Stefan Stefan.Blumentrath at nina.no
Fri Sep 18 01:43:52 PDT 2015

>From my experience the need for internationalization varies very much and depends on a lot of things (one of them is culture and exposure to foreign esp. English language).
Here in Norway, I guess no one would really miss a translation to Norwegian, as e.g. kids-TV, movies in the Cinema, and so on are not dubbed (like in e.g. the Netherlands). Actually, we even turn the GUI to English to have it aligned with manuals.

However, in other countries things can be quite different...

Personally, I would not spend an effort on translation into many languages but maybe (max) a few central ones, meaning: Spanish, and maybe Portuguese and / or French (no ideas about the importance of Asian or Arabic languages or Russian)...

Anyway, better to have one good annual in English than having lots of halfway translations.

Finally, terms in spatial analysis are often not too straight forward to translate and sometimes end up in funny translations...

Cheers
Stefan