[GRASS-dev] [r.sun]

Ben Hur Pintor bnhr.dev at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 21:58:19 PDT 2016

Greetings everyone.

I use r.sun for solar radiation modelling in the Philippines. I have a few
questions and clarifications and I hope you can indulge me:

1. Aside from NCSU-OSGeoREL (whose resources on r.sun I'm very much
thankful for), are there anyone else out there working on r.sun?

2. Has the solar position algorithm in r.sun been updated or what is the
solar position algorithm that it uses? SOLPOS? SPA? Will using one or the
other have significant effects on the results?

3. I also work with LiDAR and other high resolution data, is it advisable
to use multi-threading with r.sun?

4. I'm currently working on Python scripts to compute monthly average solar
radiation values using using the average day of the month given by Duffie
and Beckman (Solar Engineering and Thermal Processes, 1991) as well as
running r.sun for large high-resolution rasters which I'd like to share
with the community, if I do finish them.

5. Lastly, is there any effort or interest out there for creating a 3D
version of r.sun? One that computes for the solar radiation received by an
entire building and not just its roof. I've read about v.sun but I don't
think it ever made it to GRASS.

Your replies and responses will be highly appreciated.

Thank you.

Regards,
Ben Hur

--