[GRASS-dev] [r.sun]

Luca Delucchi lucadeluge at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 03:09:28 PDT 2016

On 28 April 2016 at 06:58, Ben Hur Pintor <bnhr.dev at gmail.com> wrote:

> Greetings everyone.

Hi,

> I use r.sun for solar radiation modelling in the Philippines. I have a few
> questions and clarifications and I hope you can indulge me:
>
> 1. Aside from NCSU-OSGeoREL (whose resources on r.sun I'm very much thankful
> for), are there anyone else out there working on r.sun?

For sure I used r.sun several times, I think als JRC is using it [0]

> 3. I also work with LiDAR and other high resolution data, is it advisable to
> use multi-threading with r.sun?

r.sun use raster as input, if you have high resolution raster data it
is not a problem if you computer is able to manage it.
I run r.sun using DEM with 40/30 cm of resolution.
I think that multi-threading could be used launching several r.sun job
in different cpu/core

> 4. I'm currently working on Python scripts to compute monthly average solar
> radiation values using using the average day of the month given by Duffie
> and Beckman (Solar Engineering and Thermal Processes, 1991) as well as
> running r.sun for large high-resolution rasters which I'd like to share with
> the community, if I do finish them.

there are already other addons using r.sun, maybe you can take some
inspiration [1]

[0] http://re.jrc.ec.europa.eu/pvgis/apps4/pvest.php
[1] https://grass.osgeo.org/grass70/manuals/addons/r.sun.daily.html

--