[GRASS-dev] [r.sun]

Ben Hur Pintor bnhr.dev at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 04:48:26 PDT 2016

Thanks for the response. I've seen a lot of literature and uses of r.sun
which is one of the reasons why I chose it as my model aside from the fact
that it's open-source. However, most of the uses are European setting which
I understand since r.sun is based on ESRA. I wanted to see how well r.sun
performs in a more tropical setting and from my initial findings and
studies, it seems to be doing pretty well.

r.sun and r.sunmask both seem to use the SOLPOS algorithm, the SPA (
http://www.nrel.gov/docs/fy08osti/34302.pdf) is a more recent solar
positioning algorithm by NREL and is much more precise than SOLPOS so I
wondered if using SPA instead of SOLPOS might provide better results.

With regards to using LiDAR-derived raster data, my machine can actually
handle it but it just takes a lot of time. I have a 1m resolution LiDAR of
a 500 sq km area (~5GB) and it really just takes a lot of time and disk
space -- specially for horizon rasters. I'm looking into parallel
processing to remedy this issue.

Lastly, I would also like to go into 3D urban solar energy modelling which
is why I asked about v.sun or any other attempts in GRASS to develop a
model for solar radiation received by 3D objects (i.e. buildings including
facades and roofs).

Again, thank you.

--

*Engr. Ben Hur S. Pintor*