[GRASS-dev] Rendering of vector layers can be slow

Blumentrath, Stefan Stefan.Blumentrath at nina.no
Mon Aug 8 02:27:15 PDT 2016

Hi,

At the moment I am fixing and quality checking relatively larger vector datasets with some 100k areas, of which some are quite complex (sea area / coast line). That requires visual inspection of the data and thus repeated rendering at different scales.

In this context I am struggling with rendering speed in GRASS 7.0.4. I am working on a relatively powerful server with local data in native GRASS format.

In comparison, QGIS on my local laptop renders the same data from PostGIS significantly faster, even when fetched through a WLAN connection...

Any possibilities to speed up rendering of vector maps?

Cheers
Stefan