[GRASS-dev] [GRASS GIS] #3122: d.legend.vect: possibility to change text of displayed labels and select labels to show/not show

GRASS GIS trac at osgeo.org
Mon Aug 8 08:51:41 PDT 2016

#3122: d.legend.vect: possibility to change text of displayed labels and select
labels to show/not show
  Reporter:  veroandreo  |      Owner:  grass-dev@…
      Type:              |     Status:  new
  enhancement            |
 Component:  Display     |    Version:  unspecified
Resolution:              |   Keywords:  d.legend.vect, gsoc2016,
       CPU:              |  cartography
  Unspecified            |   Platform:  Unspecified

Comment (by mlennert):

 Replying to [comment:1 annakrat]:
 > Replying to [ticket:3122 veroandreo]:
 > > Hello,
 > >
 > > I've been testing the new d.legend.vect and it is great :)
 > >
 > > However, I found that it would be even better if one could change the
 label displayed. Not always the name of the vector map is the best option,
 especially if one is displaying for example only one category of an
 attribute. For instance, I have presence/absence points and only want to
 display presence points. I'd like to be able to tweak the label to be
 "presence" instead of the name of the vector map.

 > This is already possible using d.vect parameter legend_label.

 Yes, but this does not seem to like spaces. If I use a label such as
 "Areas < 10e6" it only displays "Areas". Same with "Large Areas", I only
 get "Large" in the display. It does not make any difference if I enclose
 the text in quotes, or not.

 > > Also, sometimes one has boundaries of countries or coastlines that
 should go on the map but doesn't need to have a label in the legend.  If
 one disables the display of the map, it disappears from the legend, that's
 fine. But it would be great to be able to choose which items should have
 label and which shouldn't (but still be displayed).

 > That makes sense, I still have to think what would be the best way to
 implement it. Currently you can use d.legend.vect output parameter to
 export the legend definition, remove the particular line, and use it as
 input.

 I tried just using one whitespace as lable, but then I get an 'x' in the
 display.

--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/3122#comment:2>
GRASS GIS <https://grass.osgeo.org>