[GRASS-dev] [GRASS GIS] #3122: d.legend.vect: possibility to change text of displayed labels and select labels to show/not show

GRASS GIS trac at osgeo.org
Mon Aug 8 15:25:09 PDT 2016

#3122: d.legend.vect: possibility to change text of displayed labels and select
labels to show/not show
  Reporter:  veroandreo  |      Owner:  grass-dev@…
      Type:              |     Status:  new
  enhancement            |
 Component:  Display     |    Version:  unspecified
Resolution:              |   Keywords:  d.legend.vect, gsoc2016,
       CPU:              |  cartography
  Unspecified            |   Platform:  Unspecified

Comment (by mlennert):

 Replying to [comment:3 veroandreo]:
 > Replying to [comment:2 mlennert]:
 > > Replying to [comment:1 annakrat]:
 > > > Replying to [ticket:3122 veroandreo]:

 the label displayed. Not always the name of the vector map is the best
 option, especially if one is displaying for example only one category of
 an attribute. For instance, I have presence/absence points and only want
 to display presence points. I'd like to be able to tweak the label to be
 "presence" instead of the name of the vector map.

 > > > This is already possible using d.vect parameter legend_label.
 >
 > Oh, I missed that one
 >
 > > Yes, but this does not seem to like spaces. If I use a label such as
 "Areas < 10e6" it only displays "Areas". Same with "Large Areas", I only
 get "Large" in the display. It does not make any difference if I enclose
 the text in quotes, or not.

 > Same here :(
 >
 > Don't know how difficult it might be, but maybe it would be easier (and
 more visible, probably) from a user point of view, if that "legend_label"
 parameter would be integrated in d.legend.vect, instead of having to set
 the label in d.vect to then have it displayed with d.legend.vect

 I prefer to have it in d.vect as that is where the layer is defined. In
 d.legend.vect, this would be awkward as a d.legend.vect call could concern
 anything from 1-X layers and so potentially you would need X text fields
 to define labels and X is not defined beforehand. So, I would plead to
 keep it as is, but just to improve the handling of special characters,
 including spaces, in the text.

--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/3122#comment:4>
GRASS GIS <https://grass.osgeo.org>