[GRASS-dev] g.search.module: shell style output

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 11:32:27 PDT 2016

Hi Jachym,

the g.search.module -g flag (shell style output) outputs just names. Do you
have a particular reason for it? My use case is something like that:

g.search.modules keyword="support" -g | sed -e "s/|[^|]*$//g" | sed -e
"s/|/\t/g"

with the following desired output (name + keywords, description removed by
sed):

g.version    general,support,citing,copyright,version,license
t.support    temporal,metadata,time
r.support    raster,metadata
r.support.stats    raster,statistics
r.out.gdal    raster,export
v.out.ogr    vector,export,OGR
r3.support    raster3d,metadata,voxel
g.findetc    general,map management,scripts
v.external    vector,import,external,OGR,PostGIS
g.message    general,support,scripts
g.tempfile    general,support,scripts
v.support    vector,metadata
r.external    raster,import,external

I can actually see that outputting just module names can be advantageous in
some cases. But I want to get something like, so I can throw sed and grep
on it:

v.support|vector,metadata|Updates vector map metadata.

If we permit change of the interface, I think -g could do the output above.
This would make the -g output more like the others: same information as by
default and with -j, so we can even consider it fixing a bug.

The current output with -g can be generated with some other flag. -n* for
"names only" perhaps?

Best,
Vaclav

* https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/grass-dev/2016-August/081556.html