[GRASS-dev] r.in.gdal: restrict extent of imported data set to current region?

Helmut Kudrnovsky hellik at web.de
Thu Aug 18 16:13:01 PDT 2016

Markus Neteler wrote
> Hi,
>
> for the upcoming GRASS GIS course at the FOSS4G [1] I have processed a
> set of Sentinel-2 scenes + a Landsat time series.
> Altogether it accumulates to 90GB of compressed GeoTIFFs.
> Since that's not very practical for a course, I would like to loop
> over all files and cut the extent by the current region.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Maybe it would be sufficient to pass the xmin, xmax, ymin, ymax on to
> the right GDAL function?
>
> thanks
> Markus
>
> PS: sure, otherwise via GDAL ...
>
> [1] http://2016.foss4g.org/ws27.html

what I've used recently quite a lot on the GDAL side of life:

feed gdal_translate with x,y of upper left and x,y of lower right and to get
automagically the raster with the extent of my interest with the same pixel
size of the original input raster and also the same pixel alignment of the
original input raster; without resampling, but with some kind of an off
adjustment of 1-2 pixels more or less regarding the input extent of
interest.

it would be very nice to have such an automagic also in r.in.gdal.

-----
best regards
Helmut