[GRASS-dev] [GRASS-user] assistance needed in packaging GRASS for Mac

Vincent Habchi vince at macports.org
Thu Dec 29 11:15:05 PST 2016

Michael,

> I am happy to test the binaries. But if this works, I should learn how to do it. It is better to have multiple backups of needed skills.

Fine, you're right of course.

> I currently package wxPython 2.8.12 in the app because of potential incompatibilities from users. I also have tried to exclusively use Mac system Python again to avoid potential incompatibilities.

The MacPorts approach is precisely the opposite: provide all dependencies and do not rely on Apple bundled utilities, since they vary from version to version. It makes for larger binaries, but those binaries are dependable.

It doesn't solve the library compatibility problem, though. MacPorts robots build every port on every possible version of MacOS starting at 10.5 up. Maybe we could gather those binaries and make a DMG for specific versions…

I'll try that out later, I have papers to grade first… :/

Cheers!
Vincent