[GRASS-dev] [GRASS GIS] #2916: configure bug (?): FORTIFY_SOURCE in CPPFLAGS breaks configure on Arch Linux

GRASS GIS trac at osgeo.org
Tue Feb 16 03:21:23 PST 2016

#2916: configure bug (?): FORTIFY_SOURCE in CPPFLAGS breaks configure on Arch
Linux
------------------------+-------------------------
  Reporter:  msieczka   |      Owner:  grass-dev@…
      Type:  defect     |     Status:  new
 Component:  Compiling  |    Version:  7.0.3
Resolution:             |   Keywords:
       CPU:  All        |   Platform:  Linux
------------------------+-------------------------

Comment (by msieczka):

 Replying to [comment:2 neteler]:
 > Replying to [ticket:2916 msieczka]:
 > > gcc 5.3.0, make 4.1, autoconf 2.69
 >
 > You would need to use autoconf-2.13 if you want to regenerate the
 configure script. But I guess you don't do that anyway.

 I'd rather rely on an upstream-provided configure script, if possible.

 > I tried on my Fedora box:
 > {{{
 >   C++ compiler:               c++ -O2 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
 > }}}

 Is it OK that CPPFLAGS content ends up in CXXFLAGS?

 > I have a link which seems to be missing on your system according to your
 log file:
 > {{{
 > ls -la /lib/cpp
 > lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 Dec  8 18:45 /lib/cpp -> ../bin/cpp*
 >
 > # its origin:
 > rpm -qf /lib/cpp
 > cpp-5.3.1-2.fc23.x86_64
 > }}}
 >
 > Maybe you simply lost that link?

 There is no CPP package as such on Arch Linux. cpp, gcc and g++
 executables come in a single GCC package here. It doesn't provide this
 `/lib/cpp' link.

 Anyway, I created /lib/cpp -> ../bin/cpp symlink manually, but this
 doesn't help and doesn't seem to be the actual issue. The references to a
 missing /lib/cpp link only got replaced by yet more "_FORTIFY_SOURCE
 requires compiling with optimization" warnings. The original errors
 remain:

 {{{
 /usr/include/sys/cdefs.h:30:3: error: #error "You need a ISO C conforming
 compiler to use the glibc headers"
 gcc: error: unrecognized command line option '-nologo'
 }}}

 I'm attaching a complete config.log-fail-with_cpp_symlink.

--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/2916#comment:3>
GRASS GIS <https://grass.osgeo.org>