[GRASS-dev] -s flag in temporal modules

Luca Delucchi lucadeluge at gmail.com
Tue Feb 23 09:50:22 PST 2016

On 23 February 2016 at 17:59, Sören Gebbert
<soerengebbert at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi,

Hi,

> the "-s" flag is in use by many temporal modules for different
> purposes in grass71.

yes, could we try to simplify this using -s for only one purpose?

> Only the aggregation modules use "-s" flag to signal the usage of
> start time as suffix for basename creation.
> We should not change all the modules that make use of the flag "-s"
> for column name suppression or spatial topology activation.
>
> I would like to suggest that we do not use a flag for suffix
> specification, but instead an option for this purpose. Like "suffix"?
>
> The suffix option will specify which type should be created:
> * time with full format (time)  2001-01-01T00:00:00
> * time depending on the granularity (gran) 2001 or 2001-01 or 2001-01-01 ...
> * numerical suffix with a specific number of digits (num + %05, ...)
> "_0001" or "_01"
>
> Parameter for the option suffix: "time","num","gran" and C format
> specification like "%05" or "%03" in addition to num.
>
> What do you think?

make sense for me, I could implement "gran" and "num" during Paris
code sprint and if I have more time try to work also on "time".
Do you think the C format specification should be in other parameter
or inside the "suffix" option?

--
ciao
Luca