[GRASS-dev] -s flag in temporal modules

Sören Gebbert soerengebbert at googlemail.com
Tue Feb 23 09:55:06 PST 2016

Hi,

> On 23 February 2016 at 17:59, Sören Gebbert
> <soerengebbert at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>
> Hi,
>
>> the "-s" flag is in use by many temporal modules for different
>> purposes in grass71.
>
> yes, could we try to simplify this using -s for only one purpose?
>
>> Only the aggregation modules use "-s" flag to signal the usage of
>> start time as suffix for basename creation.
>> We should not change all the modules that make use of the flag "-s"
>> for column name suppression or spatial topology activation.
>>
>> I would like to suggest that we do not use a flag for suffix
>> specification, but instead an option for this purpose. Like "suffix"?
>>
>> The suffix option will specify which type should be created:
>> * time with full format (time)  2001-01-01T00:00:00
>> * time depending on the granularity (gran) 2001 or 2001-01 or 2001-01-01 ...
>> * numerical suffix with a specific number of digits (num + %05, ...)
>> "_0001" or "_01"
>>
>> Parameter for the option suffix: "time","num","gran" and C format
>> specification like "%05" or "%03" in addition to num.
>>
>> What do you think?
>>

> make sense for me, I could implement "gran" and "num" during Paris
> code sprint and if I have more time try to work also on "time".
> Do you think the C format specification should be in other parameter
> or inside the "suffix" option?

I think it should be part of the option.
Option "num" without number of digits uses a default of "%05",
otherwise the user can specify "num%03" for three leading zeros,
"num%07" for seven leading zeroes and so on. The option parser simply
scans for the keyword "num" and expects either a %  followed by
several digits or nothing to use the default "%05".

Best regards
Soeren