[GRASS-dev] Fwd: Re: [OSGeo-Discuss] OSGeo4W maintenance activities

Radim Blazek radim.blazek at gmail.com
Wed Feb 24 01:18:53 PST 2016

On Sun, Feb 21, 2016 at 5:15 PM, Rashad Kanavath
<mohammedrashadkm at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Markus,
>
> As this part related to GRASS, I am writing it here.
>
> Moving to cmake is one thing. But I don't know if that is blocking msvc
> build. Did anybody tried to build grass with msvc?

Yes I did, the libs only.

I started with https://github.com/swig/cccl but that was failing
because cl.exe was givin deprecation warning.....
In the end, I managed to compile libs with command (manually changed Makefile):

cl "-nologo" "-LDd" -Zi "-Fe$@" $(C_SOURCES) $(ALL_CFLAGS) $(ALL_LIBS)
"-link" -DEBUG -OPT:NOREF -DEF:$(LIB_DEF)
"-LIBPATH:c:/users/radim/devel/grass-7.0.0-msvc/dist.i686-pc-mingw32/lib"
"-LIBPATH:c:/users/radim/devel/grass-7.0.0-msvc/dist.i686-pc-mingw32/lib"
"-LIBPATH:/c/OSGeo4W/lib" "-LIBPATH:/c/OSGeo4W/apps/msys/lib"
"-LIBPATH:/c/users/radim/devel/grass-7.0.0-msvc/mswindows/osgeo4w/lib/"
"-LIBPATH:C:/lib/" "-LIBPATH:C:/Program Files (x86)/Microsoft Visual
Studio 10.0/VC/lib/" "-LIBPATH:C:/Program Files (x86)/Microsoft
SDKs/Windows/v7.0A/lib/"

+ some manual hacks like copy proj_i.lib c to proj.lib, comment
lgamma(), get dirent.h, replace .o by .obj in Grass.make and so on.

I think that adding support for MSVC to current GRASS build system is
possible, cl.exe is C compiler.

Radim